Friday, September 5, 2014

Prague and Judaism

I actually wrote most of this post while I was in Prague, in early/mid-August but my thoughts about the Jewish museum and my other Jewish experiences there spilled out into a four page post, so I managed to consolidate it a little.

I spent three very full days in Prague, and would have been happy to stay for twice that time, at least. Prague is a very beautiful city, which I hope to visit again.  Because it was not bombed (except for one apparent U.S. Air Force navigation mistake in 1945 – thanks Wikipedia!) during World War II, it has an incredible amount of old gothic, renaissance, and other beautiful styles of pre-communism architecture. Below are a couple of examples, but if you tried to take a photo of every beautiful building, you’d never actually get anywhere.  Additionally, it has a large number of parks and green spaces, making it easy to escape the city noise and check out a great view of the city. Overall the three main activities of my Prague experience were parks, music and Judaism.
 
Scenic Overlook
Fancy Architecture in the Old Town Square
Parks – On day one I went on a long walk through one park to another, where the Prague castle is located.  I found the exterior of the castle pretty boring, but the gothic church located within the complex is beautiful.  On day two, I visited Vysehrad castle, which is an ancient fortification on a hill over the river.  There is evidence there of habitation back to the 10th century and it was built upon over and other through the gothic and renaissance periods until the 19th century. More recently, a national cemetery of important figures in Czech society was created.  I saw Dvorak’s grave and then listened to some of his music played that night! I also took a nearly vertical tram ride to Mala Strana, where there are ruins of an old fortication, rose gardens, an observatory, and some other historic features. On the way down I found an old orchard!  I couldn’t resist picking a few apples for snacking, but didn’t load my bag up like in Werder.  Being in the orchard made me so happy – I think there’s a food harvesting theme to my happiest travel discoveries.
 
Fancy Architecture and a Park!

Music – There’s an unusual number of music concerts in Prague each night.  I suspect this is mostly due to the large number of tourists and the very affordable tickets, but the musicians are excellent and the tourism is probably a lot less dependable outside of the summer months, so it still must be a high priority in the city. On Saturday night I attended a string ensemble concert in yet another beautiful historic building and then on my way back across the Charles Bridge, was delighted to find a cello quartet, who appeared to be students at the local music academy. The following night I considered going to a free concert given by conservatory students, but in the end opted to go swimming at a local swimming area instead.  I needed some relief from the heat!

View from the Charles Bridge gothic gate
Judaism – When I arrived in Prague on Friday I decided that I really wanted to attend a Shabbat service to see what a Czech service is like. I did found a couple of liberal congregations and ended up at a tiny congregation near the Jewish quarter. A couple days later at the Jerusalem Synagogue I discovered that this congregation, Beit Simcha, was the first liberal congregation in Prague started over 25 years ago. They happily welcomed me to their service and their siddurs were in Hebrew, Czech and English. Interestingly, the service was almost entirely in Hebrew, which made it easier to follow along.  However, the transliteration was based on Czech phonetics and almost completely foreign to me, so I got a good refresher on actually reading Hebrew – mine was a little rusty after 6 years in Silver City.  After the service I stuck around for the Oneg and got to chat with the rabbi a little more as well as a congregant who was a Hungarian-Austrian Jew whose family fled to Bulgaria where they had business contacts during the Holocaust, whose grandparents are from Boston, and who has lived in Prague for 30 years. He had some interesting stories to tell! We also had an interesting conversation about the experience of survivor’s guilt in his family.

On my last day in Prague I went to the Jewish Museum, which is actually composed of several sites in the old Jewish ghetto, each focusing on a different aspect of Prague Jewish history.  These included synagogues, a ceremonial hall which now contains a display about Jewish burial societies, and the Jewish cemetery. My favorite synagogue was the Old-New (Staronová) Synagogue, which is one of the oldest surviving synagogues in Europe, built in the 13th century.  The floor level is sunken below street level, so it feels as if you are entering a secret passage as you pass through the doorway.  It’s less ornate then some of the others but still awe-inspiring in its gothic gables and large ark and bimah. Also, this synagogue is the center of the Golam of Prague legend, adding to the sense of mystery. This synagogue is currently used by a Prague Orthodox congregation and an interesting though occurred to me as a I sat in the sanctuary appreciating that I was sitting in a spot where Jews have sat and prayed and learned for over 700 years.  If I had attended a service at this synagogue (probably even today as it appears to be used by an Orthodox congregation), I would not be able to sit and appreciate the simple beauty of this historical sanctuary – I would have been relegated to the women’s sections located on the perimeter with plain, unadorned walls, hard cement benches and completely separated except for small slits in the wall that enable the women to hear the service. Odd that as a tourist I can appreciate this beautiful site, but as a Jewish woman I would not be permitted. 

            The most powerful site for me was the Pinkas Synagogue which serves as a memorial to Bohemian and Moravian Jews killed in the Holocaust.  It is not currently used as a synagogue, but instead all of its walls in the sanctuary are covered with the names and dates of birth and death of all of the victims, organized by community. The other part of the Pinkas Synagogue is a display of artwork by children living in the Terezin (Theresienstadt) internment camp from 1942-1944.  While most of the children died, we are given a glimpse of their interpretation of life in the camp, everyday activities, and their hopes for the future.  As I continue to visit Jewish and Holocaust sites on my travels through Europe I am constantly reminded of the incredible number of Jews murdered and how this represented ~67% of all European Jews, and up to 90% in countries like Poland and Germany.  Even after so many years of reading about various aspects of the Holocaust, I’m still struck by the sheer volume. What a different experience it would be to travel as a Jew in Europe today if the Holocaust had never happened.  At some moments during my travels in Germany and Prague I find myself getting angry about this, which surprised me since I’ve been aware of these horrible events and statistics most of my life. Because the war in Gaza is also at its height during my time in Germany, as I learn more about the events of the holocaust in specific communities and sites, I struggle about my decision to live in Israel this year.  While I certainly don’t support the actions of Hamas, I also don’t understand how a government, claiming to represent the Jewish people who have lost so much, can turn around and destroy the lives of so many innocent, oppressed Palestinian civilians. Of course, we are seeing this violence and genocide across many countries right now including Syria, Iraq, Nigeria to name just a few.  Also during this time, unarmed Michael Brown was killed by police in Ferguson, MO and as riots break out I am reminded of the incredible disparities and violence experienced by communities of color in the U.S. as well.  I’m frustrated as I take all this in, and not sure how to further articulate my thought right now, but I look forward to exploring these topics more in the social justice-focused program in which I will be participating in Israel.


            The Jewish Museum is one of the most visited sights and Prague, and completely packed with tourists during my visit. While some synagogues strike a balance between functional synagogue and exhibits, others are purely a museum, despite the fact that there are congregations in Prague that could be using them.  For background, it is said that so many synagogues and artifacts of Jewish history were preserved in Prague because the Nazis planned to create a museum in Prague of the “annihilated race.”  And in some of the sights, it really does feel like people are flocking from all over the world to learn about a people who no longer exist.  I find in both Prague and Germany that most Jewish sights focus so much on the Holocaust that they do a poor job of educating the public about the living Jewish community today.  The final site I visited in Prague was the Jerusalem Synagogue which is not part of the Jewish Museum and therefore was thankfully nearly free of tourists.  My favorite part of this synagogue, which is still in use, was an exhibit discussing events in the Jewish community in Prague and the Czech Republic from 1945 to the present.  Czech Jews, as well as Jews who fled to the Czech Republic from Poland, still faced quite a bit of anti-semitism from the Communist regime.  However, there are numerous stories of survival and perseverance.  I appreciated this exhibit because while the Jewish communities in much of Europe today are relatively small, I still have been seeking information about what those communities are like today.  Plus, I think it’s an important part of the story that should be told to the general public, that Jewish culture and practice continue in Europe today.  At the same time that we mourn the catastrophic losses from the Holocaust, I want to celebrate living Jewish communities, especially through a social justice lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment